Water Quality Standards
Regulations and Guidance
IMPORTANT: This LINK should be your first stop when determining which standard applies to your situation. Standards adopted by the state must be approved by EPA so there is often a lag time between when a standard is adopted and when it can be used for most applications in Alaska. If there is a discrepancy the federal standard applies.
Water Quality Criteria Documents:
Water Quality Criteria are generally contained in two documents: (1) Water Quality Standards and (2) Water Quality Criteria Manual for Toxics that is adopted by reference as listed below:
- Water Quality Standards:
- Water Quality Criteria Manual for Toxics (December 12, 2008)
What We Do:
- Evaluate and revise Alaska's Water Quality Standards based on science.
- Explain the Water Quality Standards and how they are used.
- Provide easy access to water quality standards related documents, including the regulations, proposed revisions, fact sheets, technical papers, guidance documents and issues that may be of interest
Note: For questions about Drinking Water, please contact the Division of Environmental Health, Drinking Water Programs.
- Fish Consumption and Water Quality Standards
- Alaska Water Quality Standards Academy: Link to presentations
- 2011-2013 Triennial Review
- Alaska BEACH Grant Program
- Past Water Quality Standards
- Site Specific Criteria in current permits
- Inorganic Toxics Criteria Worksheet
- Residue Criteria Proposed Changes
- EPA Red Dog Mine Case Study Fact Sheet
- EPA's Alaska Water Quality Standards Page
- Federal Clean Water Act
- Water Quality Standards Email List
- Natural Conditions Guidance and Tools